Using 2022 sales data, a web advertisement platform offers tips for regional e-commerce providers on optimizing Chinese New Year sales
Last year in the lead-up to the lunar new year consumers in South-east Asia snapped up 58% more desktop PCs, 29% more apps, and 30% more in products and services on mobile web sales.
In the Great China Region (GCR), desktop sales rose by 50%, app sales by 120%, and mobile web sales increased by 57%.
Retail categories continued to record improved sales performance in 2022:
- Fashion performed above baseline on the way to CNY 2022, SEA’s highest increase was 24%, GCR was 34%, Singapore was 37% and Vietnam was 41%.
- Food and Groceries doubled before CNY 2022, showing a notable uplift compared to the average during the last 2 weeks of December 2021. Highest increases were reached 2 weeks before the event for both GCR (103% increase) and SEA (86% increase).
- Health and Beauty saw an 86% increase in SEA and a 103% increase in GCR
- Electronics saw a 30% increase in SEA and a 60% increase in Vietnam
- Home and Garden categories saw a 94% increase in GCR
According to Taranjeet Singh, Managing Director (South-east Asia and India), Criteo: “As we approach this festive season, it is imperative for brands and retailers to consider adopting a refreshed advertising strategy that will enable them to maximise outreach to their target audience across different platforms.”
Singh suggest five major trends that retailers should take note of:
- Despite the return of in-store shopping, consumers are heading online to search for the best deals and taking the hybrid path of purchasing and appreciate relevant and personalized advertising.
- Despite inflationary pressures, consumers will still find a way to purchase items that they love.
- They are now planning ahead and thinking of what to buy in bulk to maximize their spending power and make use of cost savings.
- Consumers believe that deals should not come at the expense of quality. Although saving money is top of mind, shoppers still want great products that are made to last.
- Alignment with a brand’s values and loyalty programs are strong motivators for shoppers to make a purchase right now — not just discounts.
With these insights in mind, the firm offers these three tips for e-commerce retailers to maximize consumer traction for CNY 2023:
- Continue expanding commerce media channels to dominate the end-to-end customer journey.
- Provide a seamless hybrid shopping experience that creates loyalty and trust by including innovative and practical customer services such as Buy Online, Return In-store.
- Optimize data and analytics to target audiences to ensure greater advertising reach from new and existing consumers at the point of purchase.